Further information on our Jazz Program.
2017/2018 FACULTY OF MUSIC JAZZ ENSEMBLES AT A GLANCE (Schedules do not include dress rehearsals and performances)
- UTJO: Tues, Thurs 10:00-11:30am & Fri 5:00-6:00pm Gordon Foote
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Jim Lewis
- U of T 12tet: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Terry Promane
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm Christine Duncan
- 7 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Tues & Thurs 7:00-9:00pm TBA
Auditions to determine placement in vocal and instrumental jazz ensembles (big bands and combos) will be held at the Faculty of Music, 90 Wellesley location, on Tuesday, September 5 and Wednesday, September 6, 2017.
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Placement Exams – Undergrads year 1
In Upper Jazz Studio – Materials Placement Exam 9:30am and Ear Training Placement Exam 11:00am.
Instrumental Group Auditions from 12:00noon – Undergrads in years 1 & 2 and Masters year 1
In Upper Jazz Studio – instrumental group auditions for Undergrads in years 1 & 2 and Masters year 1:
Research and learn the melody and harmony for Minority in Fm, 210 BPM, and Like Someone in Love in Eb, 120 BPM. Be prepared to improvise (no reading music). Students have been assigned a group and time: Groups Revised on August 17. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Some of you have been scheduled twice for instrumentation purposes.
Sight Reading for Ensemble Placement from 1:00pm – Undergrads in years 3 & 4 and Masters year 1
In Room 380, sight reading auditions for Undergrads in years 3 & 4 and Masters year 1:
Find your scheduled time under your major instrument on this 3rd & 4th Yr and Masters Sight Reading August 17
On Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Voice Auditions for Ensemble Placement from 12noon to 2pm.
In Room 151.
- Undergrads in year 1 Voice: Please be prepared to sing one of the three charts: Jazz Voice Excerpts. Be prepared to sight read and improvise. An accompanist will be provided.
- Returning Voice Students: Choose between Stella by Starlight, All the Things You Are, and Chega de Saudade (No More Blues) which can be sung either in English or Portuguese. Bring your own charts for the choice tune, in your key, one for the accompanist and one for the panel. Be prepared to solo over the form of the song.
Sight Reading for Ensemble Placement from 10:00am – Undergrads years 1 & 2
- In Upper Jazz Studio, sight reading auditions for Undergrads years 1 & 2:Find your scheduled time under your major instrument on this 1st & 2nd Yr Sight Reading August 17.
If you are interested in auditioning for any other ensemble at the Faculty of Music, or if you have questions concerning your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda Eyer Haberman at (416) 978-3746 email@example.com.
There will be mandatory meetings for ALL Jazz students in the UJS on Friday, September 8, 2017:
- Graduates – 2:00pm in Lower Jazz Studio
- Undergraduates: 3:15pm in Upper Jazz Studio
Mandatory masterclasses for all students in the Jazz program are scheduled Fridays, 3-5pm in the UJS. Do not book classes or electives during this time slot. Missed masterclasses will result in a deduction from applied lesson grades.