MUS 120Y1 & MUS 220Y1: Classical and Jazz Instrumental and Vocal Ensembles I and II
All Arts & Science students are required to successfully perform an audition in order to be placed in a Faculty of Music Classical or Jazz Ensemble. These auditions take place during Orientation week in the 2017-18 academic year:
- Classical Instrumental Auditions will take place on September 5-7, 2017 (depending on instrument)
- Classical Vocal Auditions will take place on Wednesday, September 6, 2017 (after 6:00pm)
- Jazz Instrumental Auditions will take place on Wednesday, September 6, 2017
- Jazz Vocal Auditions will take place on Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Faculty of Music 2017/2018 Ensembles are:
- UT Symphony Orchestra: Mon, Wed & Fri 3:00-5:00pm
- UT Chamber Orchestra: Tues & Thurs 3:00-6:00pm
- Wind Ensemble: Mon, Wed & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Wind Symphony: Tues, Thurs & Fri 3:00-5:00pm
- MacMillan Singers: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm
- Women’s Chamber Choir: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Women’s Chorus: Mon & Wed 3:00-5:00pm
- Men’s Chorus: Tues & Thurs 3:00-5:00pm
- Guitar Orchestra: Wed & Fri 3:00-6:00pm
- UTJO: Tues, Thurs 10:00-11:30am & Fri 5:00-6:00pm
- 11 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
- U of T 12tet: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble: Mon & Wed 11:00am-1:00pm
- 7 O’clock Jazz Orchestra: Tues & Thurs 7:00-9:00pm
*rehearsal times are subject to change
All major ensembles at the Faculty of Music require a minimum of 4-6 hours of rehearsal per week not including dress rehearsals and performances. Students must keep their academic schedules free during ensemble rehearsal and performance hours.
What you must do before the audition:
- CLASSICAL ENSEMBLES: Complete and return the MUS120Y220Y application form 2017 by Friday, August 18, 2017, 4:00pm. You will be notified of your audition time by e-mail on August 28, 2017.
- JAZZ ENSEMBLES: Complete and return the MUS120Y220Y application form 2017 by Tuesday, September 5, 2017, 4:00pm. You will be notified of your audition time by Eddy Aitken.
- It is VERY important to submit the application form linked above to the Performance Office at the Faculty of Music by the required dates. Failure to do so can result in a lack of credit for MUS120/220 and you will not be included on the contact list for important updates about your course.
- Obtain the relevant information/excerpts for your audition.
- If you have any questions about these auditions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Classical Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
All classical instrumental auditions will be screened. The audition panel will sit behind a screen and will not be able to see candidates as they audition. Adjudicators will only be able to identify you by number.
Advice for taking screened audition
Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Fr Horn – Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Strings – Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Saxophone, Euphonium, Percussion – Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba – Thursday, September 7, 2017 (after 3:00pm)
|Violin||Viola||Cello||Double Bass updated Jul 19|
|Flute updated Jul 19||Oboe||Clarinet updated Aug 24||Bassoon||Saxophone|
2017 Classical Acoustic Guitar Audition:
- prepare 2 contrasting pieces, minimum gr 8 level RCM
- there will also be a sight reading assessment
2017 Classical Choir Ensemble Audition:
- EITHER prepare a solo of your choice to demonstrate your best vocal sound in classical style, OR prepare Down by the Salley Gardens in ANY comfortable key, on text. If the key of C is too low for you, for example, raise it. We will have you sing unaccompanied. You may download it, in the appropriate key, here. NOTE: If you choose your own solo, you MUST bring two copies with you – one for the accompanist and one for the panel.
- Everyone will do aural skills tests, including “sing-backs,” where you hear patterns played on the piano and then you repeat them on “lah.”
- Everyone will sight-sing a melody, either on a neutral syllable (like “lah”) or on solfege syllables (doh, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, doh), if you are comfortable with those.
- Some people may be asked to do an additional example, a melody on text.
- Sight-reading is an important part of the audition because all of our choirs work from notated scores and cover a lot of repertoire in a season.
- Please complete and bring this CHOIR AUDITION/EVALUATION FORM to your audition.
- UofTchoral attendance policy 2017 18
- Choral Area Syllabus 2017-2018
- Audition Schedule: MUS120220 Classical Voice
2017 Jazz Instrumental Ensemble Audition:
Sight reading auditions for Jazz Instrumentalists will take place in the Upper Jazz Studio at 90 Wellesley St. on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. You will be notified of your audition time by Eddy Aitken after your application form is received.
If you have questions regarding your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 email@example.com
2017 Vocal Jazz Ensemble Audition:
Jazz Vocalist auditions will take place as a group in the Lower Jazz Studio at 90 Wellesley St. on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. You will be notified of your audition time by Eddy Aitken after your application form is received.
- Please be prepared to sing one of the three charts: Jazz Voice Excerpts.
- Go to 90 Wellesley St. before your scheduled time on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. (Someone will meet and direct you at the front doors.)
- Identify yourself as an Arts & Science student to the Vocal Jazz Conductor, Christine Duncan.
- Be prepared to sight read and improvise.
- A rhythm section will be provided.
- If you have questions regarding your Jazz audition, please contact Eddy Aitken at (416) 978-3733 firstname.lastname@example.org
What you must do after the audition:
- A list of successful applicants will be posted across from the Performance Office (rm 107 in the Edward Johnson Building) on Friday, September 8, 2017, after 3:00pm.
- If you are successful, you must pick up a permission form from the Faculty of Music Registrar’s Office (rm 145) and take it to your own College Registrar’s Office to be enrolled in MUS 120 or 220 by your own department.
- If you are enrolled in MUS120/220 there is a $75.00 music deposit due, when you pick-up your music, to the Performance Collection, Music Library (lower level, rm E016). *please bring cheque or cash only*
If you have any questions about these auditions please contact us at email@example.com.